Login |  Register
RegisterLoginSearch FAQ

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:14 am

Metric FAL parts kit for sale
Wolf

Selling one of my metric FAL parts kits. It has everything but the receiver and has an uncut barrel. I built one on a DSA receiver and anyone on here who has one knows they are a blast to shoot.
First $200 plus shipping takes it. I'm posting it here first before putting it on gunbroker. Interested just pm me or post i want it.

Top Top

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:30 am

Re: Metric FAL parts kit for sale
Pup

That's a really good deal...the last one I had I sold on gunbroker a few months ago and it sold for $345 plus shipping........

Top Top

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:46 am

Wolf

evildog, wait before you put it on Gunbroker.

I parted out a kit on Falfiles.com recently and made a lot more money than just selling the entire thing. Plus it will be free to sell it.

They have a lot of members that will pay a premium for a specific part. They are good folks over there and have taken care of me on a number of occasions. The barrel and lower can almost get you that much, not including all the parts attached to them. I wish I were not involved in a build on one right now or I would buy it.

Top Top

Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:13 am

Wolf

How tough are they to put together? Is it an "assembly" process or an actual "building" process with machining and such? If it's something I can do in my livingroom, I may take it! ...gonna go do some research on it now though, to see what it takes to build one from a kit...

Top Top

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Wolf

Spyder, I am involved in my second build right now. Waiting on the receiver to arrive. They can become a bit of a bitch, but can also be pretty simple. Not as easy as an AR, but pretty close.

Problem one is headspacing. There is a locking shoulder that goes into the upper that by it's width determines the headspace. There are a few different sizes of these, and it gets staked in once it's set. Your individual barrel, bolt/carrier, and upper all contribute to which one you will need.

Evildogs kit is metric, so this is not an issue. But just to make you aware for the future. If you get a British L1A1 kit, you will probably need a special sized breeching washer to get the barrel to index correctly to the receiver. (on a FAL the upper is the "gun" part.) If it is an Israeli, Argentinian, or some other Metric kit, you will not have this issue.

There are some differences between "Inch" and "Metric" pattern guns, too much to go into in this long post, but there is a lot of interchangeability. Metric is the preferred route for many, and gets you the cheaper, more popular magazines. Lot more of those out there, and a lot more replacement parts.

If you don't have a set of 7.62mm gauges, barrel wrench and receiver block for the vise, this might be a task you want to farm out. There are a number of guys that will do the hard parts for you. here is one, and he's cheap.
http://www.cgwgun.com/FAL-Turn-Key-Upper-Assembly.aspx
Another guy who I am looking at for my project is Randy Kline: sledgehammertexas@yahoo.com he will do the same above for $185 plus shipping, and has a real good reputation. Plus he will not discriminate on what upper you have. (There is discriminatory issues among FALers, Centruy, and Hesse will get you looked down upon)

Now the easy, but tricky part. Since to comply with govt. regulations you must have no more than 10 foreign parts. But that is not hard to do if you choose that route. Now just about every kit gun I've ever seen at the range or gun show has not been in compliance, your call. There are a couple of good vendors will supply you with American made replacement parts. Some of this stuff is easy, trigger, hammer, sear, mag. floor plate, mag follower, mag body, pistol grip, hand-guard, butt-stock, flash hider, gas piston, all count. Now for the good news, if you decide to just use the parts in your kit, and say fuck the govt regulations not only are you not alone, but rulings have shown that the rifle is not considered assembled until you put the magazine in. So there, you can test fit everything except the magazine and still be legal. Not saying that even the brightest beat cop you run into at the range will know jack shit about this, if he even has a reason to ask about your gun. This is probably an area where if they are getting you for something else, they could pile on charges relating to your project gun if they find it.

Other than one specialty tool used to take the spring out of the stock, you really don't need anything out of the ordinary. For that tool, I made one myself using an old deep well socket and a long "T" handled allen wrench. Just don't try to unscrew it with a flat head screwdriver, you will launch the end bolt and both springs across the room if they don't bounce off your face first.

Your first place to look is http://www.Falfiles.com , join up there and they will not misdirect you.

For new receivers,
http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-SA58%20Upper% ... oducts/13/ (falfiles members get a discount)
http://www.coonaninc.com/index.php/cPath,7
http://www.entreprise.com/receivers.html

Check the boards for used ones. (The one I am getting is used, but <$200)

For New Parts, in no particular order
http://www.falconarms.com/xcart/home.php
http://www.gunthings.com/
http://www.sarcoinc.com/rifles.html
http://www.dsarms.com/

Don't worry about the lower being able to go into full auto, it's a quark with the FALs and is not an issue with the ATF. It tends to freak out AR guys who think the thing is illegal and will slam fire. The upper has to be cut in a manner to allow a safety sear to be installed before the gun can be considered verboten. (If interested in those mechanics, you can usually find demilled FA uppers for around $30 that allow you to see the difference and understand the operation) Some guns came into the US with those cuts legally, and now bring a premium ($5K), but you can't legally change out the ejector block and put in a safety sear without a lot of paperwork and a real good excuse.

My Advice, You can do it man!!!(best Adam Sandler "Water Boy" accent) Good Price on a kit, and you might end up with a good battle rifle that is a shooter for $400-500.

Oh did I mention after you commit to buy the kit from evildog, go join http://www.falfiles.com ???

Good Luck, :thumbsup:

Good to see you back posting BCB.

Top Top

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Coyote

spyder asked my same question. but I came up with another one.ya need stitched after the bolt and spring thing. :P Sounds doable with a couple screams for help.

Top Top

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:38 am

Wolf

Acera, you have done this before with an fal. I took the easy route on my builds and ordered a receiver from DSA. Then sent the receiver and barrel, bolt,carrier to be assemble by DSA and head spaced and test fired. I also had the barrel cut down and rethreaded all for $245. They sent it back and i put the lower on and bang i had a great shooter. I check into doing it myself with purchasing the tools and gauges and the cost was more than having DSA do it. Turn around was a week and a half.
For a shtf gun to grab i will have a hard time deciding on either the fal's or my m1a as the fal's are that good. :thumbsup:

Top Top

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:48 am

Wolf

If memory serves me right, i believe if you get a DSA receiver for a L1A1 you can use both metric and inch mags. I got an original L1A1 kit with great wood and top grade barrel for it. I'll probably do the same thing as my metric and get a DSA receiver and have DSA do it.
I've gotten replacement parts from Falcon and have had great service from them also.
If you guys do build a fal parts kit and are looking for a receiver just be sure to stay away from the aluminum receivers as they DO NOT hold up. I had a guy at a gun show try and sell me a fal for $300 complete until i noticed it had a aluminum receiver. I told him what he had and what would happen, he was not happy as he realized he had been taken.
I know people look down on the Hesse receivers but i have one with that receiver and it's a great shooter with no problems. Just my two cents.

Top Top

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:02 am

Wolf

Quote:
I know people look down on the Hesse receivers but i have one with that receiver and it's a great shooter with no problems. Just my two cents.

evildog, I like to hear that. My new project is based on a Hesse, LOL. There is so much bad written about them I almost did not make the trade. But since I found a lot of people who said they could be made to work, I made the trade. We will see............

For this gun, I am not hung up on if the receiver does not have the exact same cuts and lines as what the original issued guns have. If the thing can shoot, and shoot good, to hell with it being period correct in every detail. Now if I were a collector of them, that would be important, but not for this gun. It's an experiment in a number of ways.

Top Top

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:03 am

Wolf

WHats an FAL?

T.actical B.eard O.wners C.lub

http://www.facebook.com/CustomHydroGrap ... ts&fref=ts

Top Top