Login |  Register
RegisterLoginSearch FAQ

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Stretching the 308
Alpha Wolf - Site Owner

I decided to do some unknown distance shooting today. I took the IPSC AR500 out in the bean field with the 4wheeler and got set up back in my yard. That quad sure does come in handy for long range shooting. :)

Conditions were pretty poor. Storm cells moving through had the wind shifting direction frequently and varying in intensity from 5mph to 15mph. Lighting was poor and I couldn't get a read on mirage at all.

Set up on my concrete pad and took some readings. Station pressure 28.25, temp 80f, humidity 60%.

Boy it looks a little small in there! I read it at .8 mils. Mildot master said 1050. I consulted my drop chart and put 12.5 mils in the gun. Did a couple dry fires to warm the finger up.

First shot sent a vapor trail right to the base of the stand. Shit... I was a full mil low! Turns out the target was closer to 1125. Makes a BIG difference with a 20" 308 and 175's. I went to 13.5 mils on the turret and sent another. A second later I saw some paint get tore off on the right edge a little low. I held a bit left, and sent another. Put one left and a little high. Next shot landed on the right edge just a bit higher. 5th shot sent the trail right by the right side of the target. 3 out of 5 at 1125 on a shitty day. I'll take it!

Target bracket works like a charm. Easy to tote around in a little trailer I pull with the quad.

If you look close, you can see my house.

I sent 25rnds total this evening. I scored hits on 14 of them. I'm pleased with that. Especially considering this rifle is my deer gun that got re-purposed until my surgeon/krieger/AICS build gets back from Louisiana Precision. This was my first time out with the new kestrel 4000nv. I am extremely impressed. I'm making the switch from using elevation/baro to using straight "station pressure." I have a custom user screen setup in the kestrel to display temp, pressure, and humidity. I switch to the dedicated wind screen to do my wind readings. Ballistic FTE in the itouch continues to be a very valuable and accurate tool.

The wind really kicked my ass today. The lack of any real indicators in that target location was quite difficult, but the real problem was my location. I was shooting about 15yds from my house on one side and some trees that surround my yard. What a BITCH that was. It occurred to me how difficult it must be for actual snipers that are shooting from inside a room of a building. Long range shots in an urban combat environment have to be some of the most difficult shots their are. Buildings to upset the wind and get it swirling, and no "feel" for the changes due to being inside a room. I've never really experienced that before today. Kinda put a whole new perspective on things. When shooting a 308 at 1000+ you really have to be tuned in, and not being able to feel the wind pulse was very very deconstructive.

I'm told my rifle will be finished within a couple weeks. I sincerely hope that to be the case. :) I also see the need to get a high powered range finder that can range my house way the hell out there so I can check exact distance after a session like this.

Top Top

Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Stretching the 308
Wolf

Nice shootin... :thumbsup:

T.actical B.eard O.wners C.lub

http://www.facebook.com/CustomHydroGrap ... ts&fref=ts

Top Top

Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Coyote

Very nice, I hope to try that someday :)

Top Top

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:05 am

Coyote

Nice, I sure like your range. A buddy of mine is talking of setting up a 1100 or so yard range on his property near his house. I cant wait!!
On another note from talking to the snipers I know they say that taking a shot from inside a building is like loosing one of your sences. But of course with training it is obviously possible and can be fun according to them.

- Anonymous

Top Top

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Alpha Wolf - Site Owner

Today was a little easier on me than yesterday. I drug that target up closer! Wind still kicked me around though.

I painted up the target, and my woman came out of the house and said "Can I try?" Surely. :) She got down and settled in. Squeezed off 2, and then asked me "where were your marks?" I said, "its freshly painted." "Oh, well I hit it twice then!" !??!?!? This was her first time at any range past 100yds. I told her where to hold and she sent them. She has learned very well. :)

700yds is sure a hell of a lot easier than 1100 with a 308.

Top Top

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:56 am

Coyote

OMG that's awesome.... that's a keeper right there! Congrats to her, that's no small accomplishment! :thumbsup:

Top Top

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 am

Alpha Wolf

Greg, I just noticed, 3rd pic from the top, is that a truck driving by in the distance? :hello: :lmfao:

Top Top

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:56 am

Coyote

Awesome shooting. Where did you get the steel target?

Top Top

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:45 am

Coyote

Nice shooting, last week I shot my 22 @ 200 yds. in a gale force wind to practice wind doping. Not easy, but great practice! I have to agree the wind is usually victorious.

- Anonymous

Top Top

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Alpha Wolf - Site Owner

jabwocky wrote:
Greg, I just noticed, 3rd pic from the top, is that a truck driving by in the distance? :hello: :lmfao:

Negative. There is a highway back there, about 1.5 miles past where my target sits, but what you are seeing is a section of check valves from the local fuel storage outfit. See the tree strip and round bales way back there? That is about 3 miles from my position. That Premier glass is some amazing shit. I figure its safe enough. When standing by the target there is a hill that obscures the view. Just doesn't look like it from the picture. Couple that with the fact that the 308 is dropping down from like 30 feet + ... the angle is pretty severe. :)

fishfactor wrote:
Awesome shooting. Where did you get the steel target?

Big dog steel! - http://www.bigdogsteel.com/
Ryan has the target making thing down to a science. Cuts with waterjet, and has intuitive brackets. The 4x4 bracket I have is awesome. His website could use some updating. I know he's got stuff thats not on there. The bracket and target were $235 shipped.

If you guys wanted to do a group buy for a few of these... I know he'd be open to it.

Top Top