Login |  Register
RegisterLoginSearch FAQ

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Elcan scope?
Wolf

Anybody have any experience with an Elcan M145 scope. I have a chance at a screaming deal on one and would like to hear from someone that has used one.

Top Top

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Elcan scope?
Wolf

Ive never used one but Ive heard notin but good about anything Elcan....

http://www.facebook.com/CustomHydroGrap ... ts&fref=ts

Top Top

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:28 pm

Wolf

I can trade for a 400.00 1911 copy. If it has issues will warranty transfer anybody know?

Top Top

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 am

Wolf

Got my Elcan this weekend, what an amazing scope. It is the .308 version and has BDC reticle for out to 1200 meters. Will be doing some testing soon to verify accuracy of hash marks. Crystal clear, and built like an anvil.

Top Top

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:01 am

Alpha Wolf - Site Owner

brightstar wrote:
It is the .308 version and has BDC reticle for out to 1200 meters.

1200 meters huh?

What elevation and temperature is the reticle calibrated for?
How do you know that the ammo you are shooting is going the correct FPS for the reticle?
How do you know that the bullet you are shooting has the same BC as the reticle was calibrated for?
What happens when you change elevation?
What happens when the temperature changes?

The 308 can get to 1200 meters, but a BDC sure as hell isn't going to put first round hits on target at that range. I view BDC reticles and turrets as a monumental step backwards. A solution in search of a problem.

Whether you choose MOA or MIL's as your system, a reticle matching your turret that is FFP or subtends correctly at a power you can go to easily is the most consistent way to put bullets where they need to go PRECISELY. Combine that optic with a ballistic calculator of your choice and you get close. Shoot your rifle from 50-1200yds in 50yd increments and use those come-ups as your basis for checking against your ballistic computer at the varying temperature and environmental conditions, and you are about as close as you can get.

This idea of a reticle matching your ballistics, and even worse - TURRETS matching your distance is good for short range stuff... but in my experience, no more so than using minute-of-eyeball and feeling it out. This is especially evident with the 308 at long distances... as a 30fps difference in velocity from what your reticle is calibrated to will really throw a shot off.

I'll get off my soap box now. :hello:

Post some pictures of this thing! :) Let me know how it works for you out in the world.

Top Top

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 am

Wolf

All good points that I had already considered, I need to contact Elcan and get the answers to these questions. I dont have all the savvy to post pics, wish we just had the ability to post them directly to the forum. I dont plan on shooting this setup over 800 meters, I have a different tool that I will use for the long range stuff. Now I need a rail for my Cetme.

Top Top

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 am

Wolf

I see your point Greg but remember, these ar more or less "combat accurate". Not meant for first rounds hits rather get close and walk the rounds in from there. Its better than nothing but not something for sniping for sure...

http://www.facebook.com/CustomHydroGrap ... ts&fref=ts

Top Top

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Wolf

I'll have to borrow one of Greg's Private Reserve Barska's for my sniping duties.

Top Top

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Wolf

To add to 99HMC4's explanation. I have seen these mounted on M240 machine guns. That would be a good choice for area targets.

Top Top

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:12 am

Alpha Wolf - Site Owner

Yeah, I hear ya. On a SAW... those would rock.

Seems that my mindset is - why be close, when you can be right on. :) You can still run it on paper at range, and see where it shoots at both ends of the temp spectrum and map the reticle.

Top Top